Occasionally you may notice that the recording of your activity has stopped tracking without you doing so. The reason for this is because the software on your phone can actually shut down our app, causing the activity recording to pause.
Unfortunately if you go outside the app, for example to take a photo with the camera app, or use another app, the software on your phone may decide to kill our app to save memory since it is running in the background.
Our best suggestions to avoid a shutdown would be:
- Take pictures through AllTrails if possible. We will save a copy of the photo to your device, so you can then use that version in another app for sharing/saving/cataloguing/etc. Unfortunately we don't have support for Panoramas and taking one can kill the app.
- Kill all apps other than AllTrails. This will reduce memory usage on the phone and make it slightly less likely that our app is going to be killed.
- Limit the use of the AllTrails app as much as possible while recording.
If none of those work for you, the best thing you can do is make sure the activity recording is still running every once and a while.
For OnePlus users on the Android app:
We've seen this issue come up from time to time with OnePlus devices specifically, as these phones tend to kill any background apps.
For these phones we suggest locking the AllTrails app in the app switcher. You can do this by following these steps:
- When you have the AllTrails app open, tap the square on the bottom right of your home screen to launch the app switcher.
- Select 'lock' on the AllTrails app (or tap the lock symbol to lock the app).