AllTrails is driven by community generated content. Your Reputation Score helps members see who is the most active within the AllTrails community. You can find your Reputation Score next to your name under your profile.
Your Reputation Score goes up when you contribute content such as reviews, photos, and recordings. You can also increase your score by suggesting new trails or editing existing trails. If your suggested edits get approved by our reviewers, you get even more points.
The exact amount of points provided for each action is a trusted secret but what we can tell you is that different actions are weighted differently. Here is a quick summary on how your contributions help make the AllTrails community even better:
- Trails - adding new trails or editing trails to improve them helps other members discover new places
- Recordings - recording a trail or uploading a GPS file of a trail recording helps inspire other community members
- Photos - sharing photos helps everyone learn more about what they'll see on the trail
- Reviews - writing a review helps members learn more about a trail
- Facebook - linking your account with Facebook helps verify your identity
You also can earn points by contributing to trails with little or no content. Find trails that need to be improved and get rewarded for being one of the first people to write a review, submit photos, or record it using the AllTrails app.
We are continuously tweaking our Reputation Score algorithms to ensure that our community members are rewarded for providing relevant, helpful content. As of Sept. 2016 we've recalculated everyone's score using our new point system - the most important changes are listed below:
- Capped the maximum number of points that you can earn for each content submission category per trail
- Private photos and recordings will no longer count towards your Reputation Score
- Photos not tied to a trail or a recording will no longer count towards your score
Reputation score is not a contest but it helps bring a sense of community. The more active you are with AllTrails, the more valuable your reputation score.