With AllTrails Pro, you can create your own custom routes using our QuickDraw tool on desktop or laptop computer. These maps automatically sync with your AllTrails iPhone or Android app (you can access them under 'Plan' >> 'Maps' in the app). You also have the ability to print these custom maps, share them with your friends, and download the GPX files to use on your own GPS device.
Create a new custom map:
- Log in to your account on https://www.alltrails.com
- Hover over 'Plan' in the header and click on 'Maps'
- Pan and zoom to the specific map area you want and click the blue 'New Map' button
- Enter a name for your map and click 'OK'
- To add route to your map, click on 'Draw Route' or 'Upload GPX' in the left sidebar
- To draw a route, select a color, click on a starting point and click along to draw your route
- Clicking on the dotted line segments will auto route that entire segment
- If you do not want to select the entire segment you can hold down the shift key while clicking to disable auto routing; holding down the shift key will also allow you to drag and draw
- To create an out-and-back trail click on the blue 'Out & Back' button beneath the color options to create a route that returns the way you came
- To reverse the locations of the green start and black end markers, click 'Reverse'
- When finished, click 'Save.' You can create multiple routes on the same map using the various color options. Just save your first route and then click 'Draw Route' again to add another.
- You can add a Description, Waypoints, and/or Photos
Create a new custom map from the Explore map view:
You can also create your own map by clicking the 'Save Map' button on any Explore map view and following steps 4-8 above.
Edit and save:
- If you make a mistake simply click the Undo button or Delete/Backspace button
You can click the Redo button to reapply your last action if you change your mind
When you are finished, click 'Save'
To edit a saved route, click the pencil icon to the right of the route color. To delete a route, click on the X.
Pan and zoom:
- To move the map, click and hold the left mouse button and drag the map to a new area
- Zoom in and out by using the +/- buttons in the upper right corner of the screen
Draw a route using segments and point-to-point clicks:
- Left-click on your mouse or trackpad to place the trailhead marker at your starting location
- Use your mouse cursor and left-click to draw the trail route
- Hovering over a dotted-line trail segment will highlight it; click to select the entire segment
- Drag the black end-marker back down a red segment to de-select a part of the segment
Draw a route using free-draw:
- Hold 'Shift' on your keyboard to enable free-draw. In this state the trail line will be drawn wherever you move your curser
- You can also hold 'Shift' to disable the hover on any trail-head markers, waypoints, photos, and OSM segments
- To undo free-draw, let go of the 'Shift' key and left-click on your mouse to create a straight line to the next point
Once saved, your custom maps will be listed under 'Plan' >> 'Maps' in the AllTrails header. You can also access your maps under 'Plan' >> 'Maps' in the iPhone and Android app.