Lifeline is an AllTrails Pro feature that keeps your friends and loved ones informed while you are out on the trail. With Lifeline, you can select up to 5 safety contacts who will be able to track:
- Your planned start and finish time + date
- Your planned starting and ending location
- Your total tracked distance and elevation gain
- Your real-time location on a map plotted against your planned route
You can quickly send pre-formatted status updates to your safety contacts with just a tap while you are out on the trail. Most importantly, if you are overdue for your scheduled finish time, Lifeline will automatically send an alert to your safety contacts along with your last known coordinates.
Anyone with an email address or cell phone number can be a safety contact. Safety contacts do not need to download the AllTrails app or have an AllTrails account to view your real-time location.
How does Lifeline work
Follow these steps to use Lifeline as an AllTrails Pro user:
- Open the AllTrails app
- Tap on 'Record' on the bottom navigation bar
- On the Record screen, tap the 'Lifeline' icon on the bottom right of your screen
- Toggle the bar to turn-on 'Lifeline'
- Load a trail map, select your activity and set your planned start and finish time and date
- Add safety contacts by manually entering them in or choosing to 'Add from Contacts' (this will prompt a request for AllTrails to access your contacts)
- Craft your welcome message to your contacts and tap 'Send' in the top right corner when you're finished
- Begin your recording by tapping the red 'Record' button of the screen
When you are within reach of cell signal, your safety contacts will receive a text message and/or email with a unique URL. They can use this link to view your status and real-time location via their web browser. They will also receive any notifications or updates that you send via Lifeline while you are out on the trail.
Once you clear or save your recording, your safety contacts will be messaged and will no longer be able to see your real-time location. Location tracking only works when you’ve turned on Lifeline and are actively recording using the AllTrails app.
Does Lifeline require a data connection to set up?
- You'll need a data signal when setting up your Lifeline to send out your activity details and unique tracking URL to your safety contacts. You will also need a data signal to edit an active Lifeline. Messages sent when out of data signal will be queued up to send when you return to signal.
What happens when I don't have a data connection while out on the trail?
- Real-time tracking is dependent on a data connection. If you encounter limited GPS or data connectivity while out on the trail, your safety contacts will see delayed tracking information until you are back in range of a signal. AllTrails does not guarantee coordinate accuracy.
Who can see my location with Lifeline?
- Anyone with your unique tracking URL can see your real-time location tracking (data signal permitting) but only while you are actively recording with the AllTrails app, with Lifeline turned on, and within cell signal. As soon as you clear or save your recording, real-time location tracking will stop.
Why do I have to load a map into Recorder to use Lifeline?
- Lifeline is built to keep your friends and family informed, and in the event that your adventure takes you to a place where there isn't a data signal (and thereby no real-time location tracking), the pre-loaded map allows your safety contacts to know your planned start/end location as well as the route you are intending to follow. If something happens to you while you are out on the trail, your safety contacts will be notified if you don't check in by your planned end time. They can pass this vital information to the local authorities to use in any sort of search and rescue process.