Recently, I have been evaluating lots of different route planner services. I'm a runner, and I have previously been using Google Earth, Garmin's route planner, Strava's planner, dynamicWatch's planner, etc. While they all do the job, they all have quite a lot of quirks and drawbacks that makes them tedious to use. Especially when drawing routes that mixes smart auto-routing along paths and roads, combined with sections off-trail.
After some testing, I find that AllTrails' planner is actually one of the very best! :)
I'm a runner, I often run trails, and I often want to plan routes where there's not always any trails on the maps... So I really like the quick "Smart Routing"-toggling in AllTrails! I also like how your "undo"-function works. Sometimes a small mistake will screw up half the route, so it's essential to easily be able to undo mistakes...
However, you planner has a few quirks that I'd like to bring up:
1) The "Smart Routing"-toggling keyboard shortcut (ctrl on Windows) collides with "Undo" (ctrl + z). It's quite annoying when you undo something using the keyboard and, at the same time "Smart Routing" will toggle! So I think the "Smart Routing"-togge key should be changed to another key than ctrl.
2) I would like a temporary "Smart Routing: off" keyboard key, e.g. shift. Normally I want "Smart Routing" to be always on, but then you often come to a spot in the map where paths are not properly connected or you want to cross a field, etc. So you need to just add a TINY straight line over the gap. Shift-clicking over such gaps would be great!!
3) I'd like to be able to set default map type in the settings. So that when I bring up a map to edit, it would always be shown as OSM from start.
4) I'd like to be able to delete a point using mouse (e.g. by a right-click context menu)
5) After selecting a point and deleting it (using the "delete"-key on the keyboard), no point is selected after that. So hitting the delete-key again will do nothing. I'd like the previous point on the route to be auto-selected after delete. That way, it would be possible to delete MANY points very quickly... I.e. if you want to delete a long section of an existing route (to re-route that part) and it contains a lot of points, you could simply select the last point and hit the "delete"-key many times. As it is now, you have to select every single point with the mouse and hit "delete", one by one = tedious for many points!
6) The calculated "Elevation gain" for a route seems to be way off! What DEM-source are you using? The routes I have planned using AllTrails' planner all have way to high total elevation gain.
E.g. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/map-february-15-2022-11-58-am-5616060 has according to your planner 184 m elevation gain. This route is mostly flat in the city, and when importing the very same GPX track into e.g. dynamicWatch, it will show 62 m gain there (which is a lot more realistic - even a bit high also). Are you confusing meters with feet? Total gain in AllTrails seems to be about a factor 3 too high... :)
Anyway, thanks for a good planner - I hope some of the glitches above can be fixed, so it will be even better! :)
Please sign in to leave a comment.