At AllTrails, our mission is to get people outside safely and responsibly. We believe the outdoors should be accessible for all. Whether you are a seasoned outdoor enthusiast or just starting out, we have a trail for you!
However, enjoying the outdoors comes with its own inherent responsibilities to protect our natural resources now and into the future. We hope that AllTrails users will adopt responsible practices while out on the trail.
If you are unsure of where to start, you can get some tips from our friends at Leave No Trace. Leave No Trace is a national organization whose mission is to protect our natural lands by educating people to enjoy the outdoors responsibly.
Below are the The 7 Leave No Trace Principles:
1. Plan Ahead and Prepare
2. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
3. Dispose of Waste Properly
4. Leave What You Find
5. Minimize Campfire Impacts
6. Respect Wildlife
7. Be Considerate of Other Visitors
For more information on Leave No Trace or to learn how you can get involved, click here.
In addition to the Leave No Trace Principles, below are some tips to ensure enjoyment and safety:
1. If the park requires that dogs be leashed, please leash your dog.
2. When parking at a trailhead in a neighborhood, please respect residents and don’t block driveways.
3. If a trail is closed, please do not enter! It is likely closed for your safety.
4. Stay on the designated trail. Hiking or biking off-trail can damage natural resources.
5. Do not cut switchbacks.
6. If crossing private property, get permission from the landowner first.
Preparation is the key to enjoying the outdoors safely. Below are some tips to make sure you show up prepared:
1. Have a map prepared (AllTrails+
members can print hard copies of trail maps or download maps to their phone ahead of time for offline use).
2. Let your loved ones know where you are going, and when you should be expected back (AllTrails+
members can use our Lifeline feature to send messages).
4. Ensure that you have necessary permits.
5. Check the weather and wear appropriate clothing.
6. Make sure to bring enough water.
7. Know your limits and don’t attempt a trip outside of your comfort zone.