Trails can change so we understand if some trails need to be updated! We appreciate your help in keeping our database up-to-date.
You can suggest changes to a trail by following these steps:
Via desktop or laptop computer:
- Log in to your account on https://www.alltrails.com
- Click on the trail card for the trail you want to update
- Click the expand icon (upper left hand side of the page) to display the trail details page
- Hover over 'More' (in the same row as Favorite/Directions/Print Map/etc) and click on 'Suggest Edit'
- Make whatever edits you think are needed to improve the accuracy of the trail (trail name, trailhead location, length, difficulty level, whether dogs are permitted, etc. You can also suggest a better verified route and draw that route by clicking on 'Draw Route' under 'Step 1- Suggest a better route' in the top left hand corner.
- Click 'Save'
Via iPhone or Android app:
- Open the AllTrails app
- From the homepage, map view, or list view, click on the trail card for the trail you want to edit
- Once on the trail details screen, tap on the overflow menu (three dots) in the upper right corner and tap 'Suggest Trail Edit'
- Write a suggestion on how the trail can be improved
- Tap 'Send' (iPhone) or 'Save' (Android)
Trail segment errors on the AllTrails map type and other map types:
The trail segment data represented on the map types (the dashed lines that you see on the AllTrails, OSM, and OCM Map Type) is sourced from OpenStreetMap. OpenStreetMap is a collaborative, wiki-style project to create the most detailed, up-to-date map of the globe. OpenStreetMap has a wide array of path classifications, some of which are not distinguished on AllTrails. Please note that in certain cases and for simplicity of reading our map types, many segments will be displayed and interpreted differently on our site than on OpenStreetMap's site.
If you see something in the dashed line trail segments on our map types that are inaccurate or misleading, we recommend using OpenStreetMap's online platform to make the updates. Here are the steps to do so:
- Go to https://www.openstreetmap.org/
- Use the search bar to enter a nearby city or other geographical feature to narrow your view
- Click on the arrow next to ‘Edit’ and select ‘Edit with iD’ from the drop-down
- Zoom into the segment that needs to be edited, then click on the segment to highlight it
- In the left column, you can edit the segment's attributes OR press ‘delete’ on your keyboard to delete the segment
- When finished editing, click ‘Save’ at the upper right corner of the map
For additional help in updating data on OpenStreetMap, we recommend visiting this page. Please note that after you make changes to OpenStreetMap, it may take 1-2 months for the updates to be reflected on AllTrails depending on when it falls in our data syncing cycle.