If your Android device has a power saving mode or battery optimization mode enabled, AllTrails will not be able to record your hike with a high level of accuracy. You will need to disable power saving mode before using recorder.
You can disable power saving mode by following these device specific steps:
These devices have two separate settings relating to power saving: Power saving and Ultra Power Saving. If either of these is turned on the phone will not allow AllTrails to record accurate location information in the background.
- Go to 'Device Settings'
- In the upper right, select 'Search' and search for 'Battery' and select it
- Check in both 'Power saving mode' and 'Ultra power saving mode' to confirm that both of these are turned off
Satellite or standalone GPS services require more power and have a greater effect on battery life.
- From a Home screen, swipe up to access all apps
- Navigate to 'Settings' >> 'Security & Location' >> 'Location'
- Tap the 'Location' switch (located in the upper-right) to turn on or off (this feature must be turned on to adjust GPS services)
- If presented, review the 'Location Consent' disclaimer then tap 'Agree' to continue
- Go to 'Settings' >> 'Apps & notifications' >> 'Advanced' >> 'Special app access' >> 'Battery Optimization' >> 'All apps'
- Find AllTrails in the list and Select 'Don’t optimize'
NOTE: These instructions may vary a little between different versions of phones and operating system versions.